Wednesday, January 18, 2017

"The Whole Ball of Wax" Response

The article, “The Whole Ball of Wax” discusses the power of art and explores the question if it possesses the ability to “change the world”. The article’s author, Jerry Saltz states that art itself cannot directly change problems in the world such as global warming or AIDs. Instead, working with other things art can help change problems such as these. This is because as Saltz states “art is part of a universal force”. Therefore, since it is a part of this equation art is a required element. This way of thinking is not shared by everyone however. According to the article, there are some people who view art as “purely formal amusement”. Thinking in this mindset, art is viewed as something very simple lacking the power to make real changes in the world.
Personally, this viewpoint is very different from my own. I agree with the idea that art is a part of something bigger. According to Lawrence Weschler, Antonio Cassese, while being a jurist and hearing the Yugoslav war crimes, would go look at the Girl With a Pearl Earring and View of Delft. He did this because according to him the paintings “were ‘invented to heal pain’”.
Lastly, the article talks about how “art can be ‘a vacation from the self”’. This is applicable to Gerber’s experience with the plastic furniture following the 9/11 attacks. In this situation, art was acting almost therapeutic for Gerber. I feel this way about Kathë Kollwitz’s work. I remember the first time I saw her Women with Dead Child, and seeing a woman grieving and dealing with loss in turn helped me deal with my own grief at the time.

3 comments:

  1. I found Gerber's experience after the September 11th attacks to be very interesting. I like really like the way you connected it to your own experience with Kollwitz's work. I actually looked up the Women with Dead Child and it was really cool, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it interesting that you pointed out where the artist claims that art can be a vacation from the self, and compared it to Gerber's experience with the plastic furniture in the 9/11 attacks. I agree with your point that art has the ability to help grieve at the time.

    ReplyDelete